Triamcinolone acetonide is a synthetic corticosteroid, which has a chemical formula C24H31FO6. It relieves various skin conditions including eczema, allergies, skin rash, and discomfort of mouth sores.
It is a topical medication that is used as anti-inflammatory and antipruritic agents. Topical USP 0.1% contains 1mg Triamcinolone Acetonide. It is the combination of monostearate, cetyl ester wax, polysorbate-80.
It was approved for the patent in 1956 and stated on the prescription from 1958. As per the FDA, it can prescribe for the oral and in transanal inhalation.
What is Triamcinolone?
Triamcinolone is a synthetic glucocorticoid that helps to adjust the overaction of the immune system. You can purchase it in topical forms such as creams, ointments, nasal spray, and vaccines.
It is available as both OTC drug and prescription drugs depending on the dosage form. In addition to controlling inflammation, it stabilizes the immune system of the body. Moreover, it works in multiple ways.
A medical practitioner may suggest this medication for allergic reactions such as eczema and ulcers. The dose depends on the base of the product and as per the medical condition you are suffering from.
Topical triamcinolone comes in various forms such as lotion, spray, and ointment. Triderm, Kenalog, and nystatin are a few examples of Topicals
Uses of Triamcinolone
This medication is used to treat skin disorders such as eczema, dermatitis, and skin rash. It can decrease the swelling, itching, and redness of the skin. This medication can treat medium to severe skin problems
The topical ointment has the capacity to penetrate the epidermis layer of skin so that it used to treat various skin conditions.
It comes as the nasal spray, vaccines, and dental paste. A few conditions are given below that can treat with this.
- Skin rash
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Mouth ulcers
How to use Triamcinolone Dosage Forms?
You should ask the pharmacist for proper instructions about the uses. Here we are going to provide you ” how to use” tips for lotion, ointment, and cream dosage forms.
But we will suggest you ask the doctor for the proper dose that you have the need.
Tips for the Use
- Washing the hands with soap before and after applying the ointment, cream, and lotion to your skin.
- Keep this product away from children’s reach and store it in a cool and dry place.
- Do not touch your eyes and nose with fingure after applying the lotion. You need to wash your hand first before getting in touch with the eye and nose. This is because it may cause eye irritation or may worsen glaucoma.
- It is important to clean the infected area before applying the lotion otherwise unwanted germs can create problems with the efficacy.
- Do not cover or wrap the infected area after applying the topical medication.
- Do not share your medication with the third person that might cause spreading the infection.
- Store it carefully with proper closed.
- Apply the thin layer of ointment on the affected area and gently rub it. For better results apply 2-3 times in a day.
- If you are applying the medication near the diaper rash area, do not use tight pants for infants.
- It is not recommended to apply on face and underarms unless prescribed to do by the medical practitioner.
- Use this medication as per the perception. Do not use it for a prolonged period. Get contact with your doctor if you may experience any side effects.
Dosage Information for Triamcinolone Topical
- It should be applied 3-4 times a day. The proper dose is required for the treatment of skin conditions. Your doctor may tell you how to use this medication and what should you have to take care of.
- It comes in lotion, cream, ointment, and spray form. The dosage strength available 0.25 to 0.5 percent.
- The doctor will prescribe you according to the severity of the illness
Side Effects of Triamcinolone Topical
- There are no major side effects has recorded for the user of this medication. But if you may experience severe side effects, you should consult with the doctor.
- Burning, itching, and dryness may happen on the first application. These symptoms would vanish once the medicine adjusts to the body. If you may experience severe of symptoms, check with your doctor.
- Sometimes, this medication can increase the infection, Consult your doctor if you experience the worsening of redness and swelling.
- If you may experience the stretch marks, skin thinning, discoloration, and bad itching, check with your doctor.
- Sometimes, this medication can pass through the skin into the blood, it can lead to side effects of elevation of corticosteroids in the blood.
- Children are more prone to the side effects of this medication.
- If you are allergic to triamcinolone topical, you may experience rash, itching, inflammation, and dizziness.
- You may experience any of the side effects apart from this list given above, check with the medical expert immediately.
Before starting the medication, you should explain to your doctor if you are allergic to the glucocorticoid. In addition to glucocorticoid if you are allergic to other corticosteroids. This medication can cause severe side effects if you are sensitive to this.
You can get all information from pharmacists or doctors. Your doctor should aware of your medical history if you have poor blood circulation and autoimmune disease. Do not apply around the infected or dirty area.
Long term using triamcinolone can create resistance towards this, it can cause more infection. If you have any past history of surgery of medical treatment tell your doctor if they have prescribed you this medication and it does not show any effect around the infected area.
This medication can stop the child height growth. Therefore, it important to tell your doctor to check the height if your child is using this medication from past few months.
In the pregnancy, this medication can prescribe only in case of an emergency. Discuss the risk factor with a pharmacist or doctor.
It is not known that this topical medicine would pass through breast milk or not. But other dosage forms of this group can pass through the breast milk. Talk to your doctor about whether it is safe or not.
Interactions of Triamcinolone
Your doctor must be aware of drug interactions with this medication. You are not allowed to change the dose without asking the doctor. Moreover, do not stop immediately without consulting with a doctor.
If you are already using any herbal cream or medication on the skin, tell your doctor about it. It needs to tell your doctor about the all medication that you are using. Give all the details of cream and medication that you are using regularly.
The Bottom Line
Triamcinolone is useful to treat various health conditions caused by allergies or over-responding to the immune system. This is advisable in varieties of dosage form and should be applied after cleaning the infection.
This may cause severe side effects if you are allergic to it. Tell your doctor about the history of medications and surgeries.
It is a well-known medication that has been using for several years. You can purchase it in generic as well as branded form.
Is Triamcinolone cream a steroid?
Triamcinolone is a steroid that decreases inflammation and rashes after the application. It can treat the overreaction of immune system.
Why is steroid cream bad for you?
It is not always bad but sometimes it can cause severe side effects such as thinking of skin, burning sensation, darkening of the skin, and stretch marks. It is suggested, do not touch the eyes because it can worsen glaucoma and eye irritation. You should wash your hand after the application of this medication.
How often you should apply triamcinolone?
For topical applications including cream, lotion, ointment, and nasal spray apply to the infected area 3-4 times in a day.
Does triamcinolone help acne?
It treats the overreaction of the immune system including redness, dryness, and inflammation. The adverse effect of this cream can worsen the acne or can change the color of the skin.