Menstrual hygiene management is an essential part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. The guidelines have been declared by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
However, it is important to know what exactly mensuration is and what how could you manage it well. A few simple steps of management along with good mindset can make a huge difference to the lives of every woman.
A menstruation cycle is a natural and biological phenomenon of the female reproductive system. It is experienced by all the woman in their lifetime, but still, people do not talk about it openly.
Menstrual Hygiene is essential to the woman empowerment and good health of girls and woman worldwide. This is about to understand female problems during those days. Along with this, it is also important to know the proper use of sanitary pads, a clean toilet, and hygiene around the genital area.
What is Menstrual Hygiene?
Menstrual hygiene is basically known for maintaining hygiene during the periods. Here, it has suggested using a clean and cotton-based material to absorb and collect the blood. After that, a woman needs to wash the genital area with soap or she can use wash available in the market.
Keeping hygiene of those areas helps to maintain good health and prevent various genital problems. Moreover, it helps to reduce the risk of UTI infections.
Let’s take one step to maintain the menstrual cycle that must help a woman to stay healthy. Along with this, you may enjoy the healthy and happy menstrual cycle.
Important Steps Towards Healthy and Happy Menstrual Cycle
Change Saniraty Napkin within a Time Period
- It is recommended to change sanitary pads within 4-5 hours. This should be an essential rule to maintain vaginal health. During the period, the body invites various unwanted micro-organism, which may cause various infection.
- Changing sanitary napkin within a time period can prevent irritation, urinary tract infection, and rashes.
Washing-off Genital Area
- Washing the genital area regularly is the most important because sanitization of that area is important to prevent the infection. Most women wash it off, but not on regularly.
- You need to understand the right way of the washing process, which is using your hand towards the vagina to the anus.
- If you move the hand towards anus to the vagina that may cause vaginal infection.
Stay Away from Soaps or Vaginal Hygiene Products During Menstrual Cycle
- Using vaginal products every day is a good idea, but it is not recommended to use while periods.
- Vagina starts cleaning itself during the menstruation cycle. However, this artificial item can hamper the natural process that may further lead to the growth of unwanted micro-organism.
Dispose of the Sanitary Napkin Properly
- It is the most important step in menstrual hygiene. However, it is recommended to wrap them properly before you discard it.
- Do not throw it here and there that may cause of spreading the infection and pollution.
- Do not flush it in the toilet, which may block the toilet causing the water backflow.
- After dispose of a sanitary napkin, wash your hand properly with soap or handwash.
Why Should You Maintain the Good Menstrual Hygiene During Menstrual Days
Reduced Risk of Urinary Tract Infection
Using dirty clothes during menstruation cycle for longer can be a good environment for the growth of microbes such as harmful bacteria and yeast. Microbes like E.coli, Candida albicans, Pseudomonas, and staphylococcus can grow easily in the humid area.
Reduced Incidents of Rashes in Genitals
Long term wetness can injure the external area near around vagina. If you are not changing sanitary pad or wet cloths within a given time period, it may cause of rashes during the cycle.
Apaart from this the area around your vagina can be infected with bacteria or fungus that may further lead to worsening the rashes.
Most of the sanitary napkins are made up of plastic material that can harsh your genital health. However, it is important to keep changing sanitary napkins.
To avoid this condition, you need to follow the guidelines of menstrual hygiene.
Maintain the Good Reproductive Health
Maintence of good reproductive health needs proper menstrual hygiene during menstrual cycle. Using of bad and wet clothes during the cycle can lead to development of microbes.
However, unhygenic way of collecting blood can lead to development of RTI and vaginal discharge.
Reduce the Risk of Cervical Cancer
Cervical cancer is generally caused by Human Papilloma Virus. Although, it is transmitted sexually but, a poor hygygine during the cycle can spread the infection easily.
Reuse of sanitarty pads, not washing of hands after changing the clothes, lack of sanitisation during cycle are the reasons, which may cause cervical cancer.
How do you maintain menstrual hygiene?
– Changing pad in every 3-4 hours
– Clean the reusable pad with detergent and keep it in sunlight.
– Wear clean undergarments
– Need to clean your genital area regularly
– Wash your hand after the contact with pad
Can I drink milk during my period?
Dairy is not the right choice during the period. Consuming too much milk during the cycle can cause your period cramps. However, dairy can cause worsen the bloating, gas, and diarhhea.